The Massillon Public Library invites local writers to submit their original poems and Flash Fiction pieces (1000 words or less) to be entered into our annual writing contest! Winners will be chosen in three categories: grades 3-8, grades 9-12, and adult.
1. Writings submitted to the contest must be original work. There is a limit of 4 pieces per entrant: either poems &/or flash fiction (short stories of up to 1000 words).
2. Contest is open to grades 3 – 12 and adults (over age 18).
3. Deadline is Sunday, March 31, by closing time (5:00 p.m.) in person OR 11:59 p.m. IF submitting online.
4. Pieces must be family-friendly. In collaboration with the Massillon Museum’s The Big Read selection Burning Bright by Ron Rash this year, writers have the option of fitting their work to the themes of literature, books in general, or the featured book. This is optional. The Big Read is a program of the National Endowment for the Arts designed to restore reading to the center of American culture. Through The Big Read, communities come together to read, discuss, and celebrate U.S. and world literature.
5. Each piece of writing must be submitted with its own entry form (signed by parent or guardian if under 18) OR via online submission. Submissions will not be returned. The Massillon Public Library may reproduce your piece on its website, but copyright is retained by the author. Please do not submit your only copy as it will not be returned to you.
6. The decision of the judge is final.
7. Entrants in this contest will be given the opportunity to read at the Open Mic Night held at the Massillon Public Library on Tuesday, April 23, at 6:30 p.m. Winners will be awarded their prizes during the Read-In. Entrants should bring their own copies of their works if they wish to read them as previously submitted pieces will not be available. In addition, as part of The Big Read, winners may be invited to read at One-Act Plays at Washington High School.
8. Pieces should be submitted to the Main Library Children’s and Reference desks, the main desks at the Belloni Branch (Brewster), the Askren Branch (Navarre) and the Bookmobile. Pieces may also be submitted online.